My Weekend Stress Relief

I have much to be thankful for after a weekend scare and unexpected stay along the Charles River.

By Bob Socci

The simple pleasures in this life start most days with the morning paper and the first pour of fresh-brewed coffee.

Never have I enjoyed that initial sip more than Tuesday, after stepping into the brisk air to grab The Boston Globe from our sidewalk.  It was the first time I’d gone through the front door since being carried out by paramedics roughly 75 hours earlier.

That was sometime around 3 o’clock Saturday morning.  I had awakened while my wife was searching our medicine cabinet for Aleve.  Knowing that I keep some in my work backpack, I hurried downstairs to retrieve it.  As I quickly returned upstairs and handed her the bottle, I suddenly felt light-headed and nauseous.

In the middle of saying so, I collapsed.  The next thing I knew, she was leaning over me, holding a phone to her right ear.  Blood dripped from my left ear, which could hear the kids calling out from our bedroom.  By then, my complexion had greyed, a 9-1-1 call had been placed and my son and daughter had huddled together under a blanket.

They were as frightened as I was confused and — as much as anything — thirsty.  I wanted up, and I needed water.  My mouth and lips were dry as desert sand.  Just as I took a drink, medics appeared.  They buckled me up, and off we went.  I was jolted to my senses first by the cold air and repeatedly along the way on the bumpy ambulance ride from our home in Milton to Dorchester’s Carney Hospital.

Two weeks earlier an EKG as part of my annual physical exam at Massachusetts General Hospital revealed an “abnormality,” leading my doctor to schedule a follow-up echocardiogram later this month.  It hadn’t worried me too much, because to date I’d led a pretty active life symptom free.  

I worked out fairly regularly during football season and more routinely of late.  Usually by doing a lot of cardiovascular work.  Since that exam, for example, I went running six-to-seven miles at a time; churned out half-hour stints on the stair master, elliptical machines and Peloton bike; and even hit the cross-country skiing trails of Bretton Woods (N.H.) a few days in a row.

As someone who typically chooses steps-over-escalator and salmon-over-steak, I felt great most of Friday.  In late afternoon, I walked from the Hynes Convention Center to the Park Street subway stop.  A few hours later, I ate a healthy dinner and a couple of hours after that retired to an early bedtime.  

Then I woke to a weekend of tubes, tests and restless hours in a hospital bed.  Not long after arriving at Carney, being fed an IV, hooked up to a monitor and queried about the sequence of events; I was transferred and admitted to MGH.  

The view from my room overlooking the Charles late Morning morning.

Doctors were concerned my fainting could be related to my recent EKG.  My heart rate and blood pressure, already low to begin with, dropped considerably.  Priority one was ruling out a congenital heart issue known as Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy that results in arrhythmia and often causes even top-conditioned athletes to collapse.

Doctors scheduled a stress test followed by an echocardiogram.  Instead of undergoing the latter as an outpatient, as originally planned, I’d get it as an inpatient.  But I’d have to wait until Monday.

As you can imagine, the next day-and-a-half left me with a lot to think about, as I experienced a wide range of feelings.

Among them, guilt.  Particularly as I thought about my wife.  Herself a physician at MGH, she had just written her first book: Healthy Habits for Your Heart.  And here I was, my chest dotted by patches connected to wires (more on those in a bit), worrying about the irony of her husband potentially dealing with — you got it — an unhealthy heart.  And there she was, on-call for her practice from home, taking care of our 7- and 8-year olds and bracing for an imminent winter storm.

It figured.  We have a running joke in our house that I always seem to be away when the worst of winter reaches Boston’s South Shore.  It started in February 2015, when I avoided a blizzard while at Super Bowl XLIX in Arizona.  More recently, I dodged a snow-and-ice storm during the AFC Championship played in Kansas City.  Now this.  Luckily, I have awesome neighbors; a saint for a mother-in-law; and a beautiful, smart and tender-yet-tough wife who powered through the weekend after a hectic, stressful week of her own.

Above all, I sensed — in equally-overwhelming parts — mortality, humility and gratitude.  

One hospital official inquired about a “health proxy.”  Another asked, essentially, if I wished to be resuscitated in the event of cardiac arrest.  It was incredibly sobering.     

Whether lying in wait on a gurney in an emergency room bay or on a 10th-floor bed, I saw and heard things reminding me of how I good I’ve had it all my life and, frankly, making me somewhat embarrassed by my blessings.

I listened as an elderly man was brought into the ER from an area rehab facility.  He was in great pain and, suffice to say based on what I couldn’t help but overhear, seemed to have been neglected for some time.  His symptoms were those of countless others in society.  If you’ve ever had to look into senior living options, as my family did for my mother a few years ago, you probably know what I mean.

I was then placed in a room with a very young man who’d been at MGH for an extended time, struggling against serious health matters of the heart and more.  In my short stay on the other side a curtain, I felt for him and grew to admire his devoted mother and the staff that ministered to him (more on them as well in a bit).  I’ll be thinking of them and the higher quality of life I hope he leads for decades to come.

Soon into my stay, doctors determined that I had fainted from a “vasovagal syncope,” usually a benign event not requiring any treatment.  Nonetheless, they still needed to explore the EKG abnormality.  

Meanwhile, I read a fair amount, followed the NFL Combine on my phone and subjected myself to Sunday’s Celtics loss to the Rockets.  With nowhere to go and really nowhere else to turn to on TV, I lay there in my open-back hospital johnny watching James Harden sink step-back threes a half mile away.

As uninspired as the C’s appeared, I was motivated to, yes, show a lot more heart at my stress test the following morning.  I laced up my running shoes and waited to hit the treadmill.  Strangely — or not, given what I do for a living — I pictured it as my own Combine of sorts.  Prospects were running and drilling in Indianapolis striving to impress coaches and GM’s enough to get to the NFL.  I was hoping to prove to doctors that my heart was healthy enough to let me go home.  

Finally, well after my appointed time, I was wheeled in a chair from the cardiology floor to the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center.  Before mounting the treadmill, though, I had to undergo my most painful part of the process.  My cardiac pads needed to be switched out.  


Placed across one’s chest and midsection, these really — really! — sticky pads are connected to wires leading to electronic monitors that track vital signs like the heart rate.  I’d been in two different ambulances, two different hospitals and now two departments of the same hospital.  Each of them used different monitors and, thus, different patches.

Perhaps you’ve heard my Patriots broadcast partner Scott Zolak enjoy more than a few laughs talking about my follicles on his 98.5 The Sports Hub midday radio show.  To put it simply, I’m a very hairy guy.  

In fact, my forrest is probably thickest precisely where those patches had to be placed.  Pulling them off left me looking (and nearly screaming) like Steve Correll in the chest-waxing scene in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” 

Thankfully, my showing on the steeply-inclined treadmill went better than the “pre-game” prep.  I went as high, fast and long as they asked me to go, as I strongly as I could.  The subsequent echocardiogram showed a healthy heart pounding to its own beat.  I was approved for discharge, without restriction of activity and exercise.

A moment at rest before my feet hit the treadmill for my stress test Monday morning.

Not that I’m totally in the clear.  Sometime soon I’ll have an outpatient CT scan to examine my arteries.  High cholesterol and a history of heart disease — albeit at a much later stage of my father’s life — run in the family.  Plus, that abnormality remains unexplained for now.

I realized long ago that no one is infallible, not even doctors.  Still, I’m confident in mine — from my primary care physician to my cardiologist to my wife.  I also recognize that I’m a lucky one.  Insurance and location ensure our family access to some of the best medical care in the world.

Furthermore, I understand that my own experience is unique to me and admit a bias toward the hospital that lured my wife from Baltimore back to Boston and brought our children into this world.  That said, I’m truly grateful for the team of MGH doctors, nurses and assistants who looked after me.  

Same goes for my caregivers at Carney.  The bright young doc overseeing the ER, the aide who kept reminding me to “control (my) breath” and the nurse who knew my name and voice from the radio all made a big impression in a brief time.           

They and the technology they utilize only reaffirm my appreciation as well for the immeasurable importance of science.  Now more than ever.  I feel the same about diversity.  Hanging out on a hospital floor, I heard a handful of accents and saw that inside white lab coats and blue or green scrubs are people of every shade on the human spectrum.  

Just like a certain football team I watch at work each week in the fall, they are among our best and brightest at the jobs they do.  Only in their case, the daily stakes are much greater than in the games people play.

In more ways than the obvious, I’m better today than I was a few days ago for having encountered them.  I only wish we met under entirely different circumstances.  And I hope not to see them again anytime soon. 

I trust they’ll understand.

Monday night my son and daughter were back in our bed, falling asleep between mom and dad.  Crowded as it was, I fought to avoid falling off the edge.  

Yet, I couldn’t have slept better, knowing that dawn would bring the morning paper, a cup of joe in my favorite mug and the start of a brand new day.



Author: Bob Socci

Play-by-play broadcaster for the New England Patriots and 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston.

17 thoughts on “My Weekend Stress Relief”

  1. So glad you’re ok! Terrifying for all of you, I’m sure. Not only are you great at what you do during the season, you are one great writer.

    Take care,


    On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 6:32 AM BOB SOCCI – A VOICE FOR ALL SEASONS wrote:

    > Bob Socci posted: “I have much to be thankful for after a weekend scare > and unexpected stay along the Charles River. By Bob Socci The simple > pleasures in this life start most days with the morning paper and the first > pour of fresh-brewed coffee. Never have I en” >

    1. Thanks so much, Diane. I truly appreciate your kind words and well wishes. Best to you and yours.


  2. Thank God you’re Ok Bob, and you are correct, nothing like a scare to give you more appreciation for the life we have. I had a similar scare, only at 30,000 feet on a flight to Vegas about 10 years ago. Taken off at the airport and spent the night in Springs Valley Medical Center instead of the 28th floor of the Mirage… it was severe dehydration but the testing and 80 pages of records that I gave my MD when I got home and additional testing lead to the discovery I had Stage 2 Prostate Cancer at age 54. We took care of that and I’ve been cancer free for years now.
    Like you I Spent a lot of time reflecting on my life lying there in that room, the first time I’d ever stayed in a hospital, but eventually fell back into the same ruts. Semi-retired now I still don’t treat everyday as the gift that it is… maybe your scare will be the kick start for me

    Best of health to you!
    Go Pats!!!

    1. Hi Frank,

      I may have already briefly replied to you on Twitter. Even if I did, in his case, I can’t be redundant enough in saying “thanks” for sharing your story and reaching out. I’m sorry about your scare on the way to Vegas, but grateful that your experience led to a discovery that caught your cancer in time.

      As much as any of us try to count our blessings, over time they can be easy to lose sight of. Age and the good fortune I’ve enjoyed have led to take stock of my luck far more than I used. But at the same time, not nearly enough. The fact that my experience touched you, however, tells me that although such gratitude for our daily gifts may not always have been at the forefront of your mind. But they were still awfully close.

      I wish you many more years of good tidings and health.

      All the best…and yes, Go Pats!


  3. Wow- These are the events that help define our lives. It’s no surprise that you came away with an appreciation for all you have. Hugs to M, G, and M- and to you, Bob. So glad this ended well for everyone! xo

  4. Glad you are ok. It proves the phrase we ignore every day which is if we have our health we have everything. Well written account which everyone should read. The bad news is you will have to work with Zo again in the fall.

    1. Hi Chris,

      Thanks for reaching out, and sorry to take so long to reply. You’re so right about having our health. Please take care.



  5. Bob
    I’m so glad that you are home and healthy!! What a scary situation for your family!
    I had a hospital visit a couple of years ago and can relate to some of your experiences.
    Please continue to take care of yourself! Please let the rest of the family know I’m thinking of them often!💜

    1. Hi April,

      Thanks so much for reaching out with your well wishes. I’m sorry about your own hospital experience, and hope you and yours are doing great. All is well here in our house.

      Take care!


  6. Mr. Socci,

    My daughter came home from Glover Elementary Tuesday afternoon, excited to tell me that the guy who “calls touchdowns” for the Patriots read The Lorax to her and the other kids at breakfast. I was touched that you had made time in your schedule to make an appearance at Glover, but now I’m absolutely floored and so moved. After all you went through that weekend, you still showed up for Milton Public School kids.

    Many, many thanks and hopes for a clean bill of health.

    Elaine Craghead, School Committee Member and Glover parent

    1. Hi Elaine,

      Please forgive for taking so long to reply. Thanks so much for reaching out with your kind words and well wishes.

      As I’ve told Karen McDavitt and Sara McNeill, I wouldn’t miss reading The Lorax at Glover for anything. Getting there Tuesday was my motivation on Monday :). I am so grateful that my wife and I found our way to Milton and send our kids to Glover. We’re very fortunate. The rest of the country would do well to educate children as Glover Kids are taught every day!

      Best to you and yours.


  7. Thanks for sharing. I think it takes courage and a willingness to embrace one’s vulnerability. It’s also helpful for many readers (including myself) who also have had their own heart experiences.

    1. Hi Scott,

      Thanks so much for your message. I’ve had a lot of experiences to remind me of my vulnerability. But none quite like this 🙂

      I look forwarded to reading your own work. FYI, my wife, Dr. Monique Tello, writes at



  8. Wow Bob! My Dad passed out many times before being diagnosed with vasovagal syncope…it was very scary. We are so blessed to have gotten to know you and have your “voice” and your support each year. We are so relieved to hear that you are back home and healthy! Pamela Vershbow

    1. Hi Pam. I am seeing your message for the first time tonight. I certainly feel the same way about you, Jim, Patrick and your extended family of “Pals.” I’ve very sorry about your recent loss. Your family remains in my thoughts and prayers. God bless, Bob

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: